During pregnancy stages, many physiological and anatomical changes occur in the mother’s body. At the same time, changes in the circulatory system are also observed during pregnancy. The blood volume increases to meet the baby’s needs and prepare the mother for the birth.
By the pressure of the growing uterus on the vessels in the later stages of pregnancy, edema and varicose veins are formed. Depending on this, joint and bone pain may occur. Especially the pressure to the nerves on the wrists due to edema may cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
You can share our article with the purpose of disseminating knowledge by giving its source.
Pay attention to the weight taken during pregnancy stages!
Weight during pregnancy stages also causes joint and bone pain in the knee, waist, hip, leg and back. At the same time, loosen of tendons and ligaments can be seen by the effect of hormones. This causes joint pain.
With the weakening of the immune system during pregnancy stages, there may be an increase in diseases related to the immune system such as arthritis seen in the joints. Due to the progression of pregnancy, the extension of the abdominal muscles, the loosening of the joints due to the effects of pregnancy hormones cause pain in the waist, groin, pelvis and leg area.
Factors causing joint pain during pregnancy
- Increased need for vitamin D and calcium during pregnancy stages and bone and joint pain due to malnutrition are common.
- Wrong sleeping position can also cause muscle and bone pain. As a result of pregnancy related uterus growth, sleeping on your left side may cause muscle and joint pain.
- Thyroid hormone deficiency is also common in pregnancy due to increased need. Muscle, joint and bone pain may also occur as a result of this.
- In pregnant women who do not have enough rest during pregnancy or have to work for up to ninth month, pain in the back, waist and knee can be seen as a consequences of long periods of sitting or standing.
What should be considered to minimize joint pain during pregnancy stages?
- Resting during pregnancy is very important. Pregnant women should take adequate sleep, not sit for a long time and should be careful not to stand for a long time.
- Vitamin supplements should be made if there is calcium and vitamin D deficiency.
- Pregnancy sports such as walking, swimming, pregnant yoga or pilates can be performed.
- Massage also relieves joint and muscle pain associated with pregnancy.
- Thyroid hormone deficiencies should be treated.
- Balanced diet is very important during pregnancy stages.
- Calcium-rich dairy products, fresh vegetables should be taken. Salmon, soybeans, cabbage, broccoli, almonds, cheese, milk and dairy products, green leafy vegetables also should be consumed.
- Pain killers that do not harm the baby can be given from time to time to increase the quality of life of the pregnant woman.
Our articles are prepared to give advice. You should consult your doctor for exact information.