During your baby’s first month, sleeping will be challenging. In the first month, subjects like sleep and nutrition can really challenge you. In addition to this, babies can often hiccups and sneeze at the first month.
In this article, we will look at your baby’s first month development and other changes.
Hundreds of questions can arise about raising a newborn baby. Questions such as how to feed your baby, when to wash and how to care can worry you. First of all you can find such topics separately on our site.
If it is your first pregnancy and your first baby, you’re more worried.
But don’t worry. At this stage there may be many things that can be alarming at first sight about babies. In fact, these are very common situations.
The important thing is to watch your baby carefully, give them the care and attention they need and, if necessary, talk to a specialist about anything you realize.
Developments in your baby’s first month
Your baby’s movements will be like this for the first thirty days of their life:
- Your baby will sleep for an estimated 14–16 hours. They will wake up with short time intervals and will usually feed 7-12 times a day.
- At first they won’t see clear. As time goes by, their eyes begin to focus gradually.
- Your baby can lose a little weight even if you breastfeed at any time he/she wants. This is normal for newborn babies.
- Newborn babies constantly hiccup and sneeze. This does not mean that they have digestive or respiratory problems.
- Especially when they are asleep, their breathing can be excessive and irregular. This is normal.
Changes in your baby during the first months
As time goes on, babies begin to distinguish the faces of the people they frequently see. They may smile when they see these people. Moreover, the colors, lights and sounds begin to attract their attention.
In terms of emotional development, it is very important that the baby feels protected and loved. Experiencing the feel of confidence in this month will be effective for your future life.
It is very important to establish a bond of love during and after the first month. Newborn babies can recognize their mothers by smelling and feeling. They cry instinctively to attract the attention of their mothers and for their needs to be met.
However, this bond does not belong only to the mother of the baby. Also the father can participate to this bond actively at the beginning.
What should you consider in the first month of your baby’s life?
We must never forget that a small baby is an extremely sensitive being. They are new to the world and they are still trying to adapt to it.
You should be careful about the germs that your baby can contact with. Your baby’s bedroom should be light-well, warm and free from any contamination.
You can check the artcile about the baby room; How Should Preparation Of Baby Room Be?
It is also important to keep visits to a minimum in your baby’s first month. If you have a guest, try to limit the visit with 20 minitues. Because newborn babies are easily scared, more than this can be disturbing for the baby.
There are 3 important situations that you should know in terms of your baby’s health:
- It is best to wash your baby in a warm room with warm water every day. Be very careful not to splash water in their eyes and ears.
- The umbilical cord will fall after 6-15 days. A daily bath is enough to keep the area clean.
- When his/her nails begin to grow, your baby’s skin may scratch. Cut the nails when necessary.
Breastmilk is the most important nutritional value during the first month of your baby’s life. Breastfeeding is recommended until the baby is six months, if possible. You can get more information about the importance of breastmilk; What are the benefits of breast milk?