One of the most common disorders during pregnancy stages is anemia. But for the health of both the baby and the mother, you can take measures from the beginning. In this article, we will give information about the causes of anemia and what the expectant mother should do.
Being a mother is a feeling of happiness and excitement. And every woman wants to live that happiness one day. However, in order to have a healthy baby and to have a healthy pregnancy, some points should be considered. Therefore, you should protect yourself from the problems and discomforts brought about by pregnancy.
How is anemia diagnosed during pregnancy stages?
In pregnancy, the problem of anemia is more likely to occur after the second 3-month period (20th gestational week). Diagnosis can be made easily with blood counts performed in pre-pregnancy controls. One of the most important causes of this disease is that there is not enough iron in the body. Iron is an element that plays an important role in the production of red blood cells. The daily iron requirement before pregnancy is 15 milligrams, while it is 30 milligrams during pregnancy stages. To understand how anemia begins, you need to pay attention to developments in your body. The first symptoms of the disease are as follows; weakness and fatigue, difficulty in concentration, paleness of the skin and mucosa, decrease in body resistance, palpitations, dizziness, fainting, headache. If you experience such a situation, you should contact your doctor immediately.
What can you do in case of anemia during pregnancy?
In this period, the mother candidates should plan nutrition by considering iron need to avoid anemia. During your pregnancy stages, you should apply other measures one by one according to your doctor’s recommendations. You should take care that the foods you eat are iron-rich foods. On the advice of your doctor, you can get supplements rich in iron. The supplements you use may have side effects. Because drugs containing iron cause nausea and vomiting, it should be taken before bedtime at night.
Also, to be protected from anemia you need to do as follows.
- -When you are pregnant, take the iron pills to take control of anemia with the advice of your doctor.
- -Eat in a healthy and regular way.
- Formous food; fat-free red meat, tuna.
- Try to eat dry fruits and vegetables.
- -If you do not eat meat, make sure that the nutrients you take to increase the absorption of iron are rich in vitamin C .
- Begin to use iron-containing medications to meet the increased iron requirement, recommended by your doctor.
- Do not overdo the consumption of coffee and tea during pregnancy stages. Iron is of great importance for mother and baby so, you should avoid such drinks. Also, you should use iron pills not only during pregnancy stages, but also during postnatal periods and during breastfeeding period.
- Read our article about nutrition for a healthier pregnancy period pregnancy vitamins and their benefits.
Our articles are prepared to give advice. You should consult your doctor for exact information.