Cough in babies usually last for 2 weeks at most. If the baby is coughing, this is rarely point to a serious condition. However, the baby may feel uneasy and uncomfortable due to cough and cough symptoms. Therefore, it is useful to do things that will ease your baby’s cough. Of course this can be a little difficult. Especially if the baby continues to cough during the night, this may mean a sleepless night for parents.
Causes of Cough in Babies
Cough in babies is divided into 2 as infection related and non infection related causes.
- Infection related causes
- Upper respiratory tract infections: Flu, rhinitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, etc.
- Lower respiratory tract infections: Bronchiolitis, pneumonia.
- Non infection related causes
- Allergic causes
- Swallowed foreign object
- Respiratory system anomalies
- Psychological causes (seen in older children.)
When is cough in babies serious?
- All kinds of coughs that cause respiratory distress in babies,
- Coughs caused by swallowing a foreign object,
- Coughs with wheezing and fever,
- Long-lasting coughs, especially after feeding
Treatment of Cough in Babies
Babies are very delicate beings. Even a slightest problem can disturb them. It is normal to be sad when your baby gets sick. But, most mothers immediately fear and panic. Believe that this panic will not help you and your baby who is tired of coughing. Just calm down instead of panicking. Try to understand the causes of coughing. Then, focus on how to treat cough in babies.
First of all, let your baby rest well. Breastfeed him more frequently. If you can’t breastfeed then feed him with a baby bottle more frequent than usual. This allows your baby to get more fluids. The fluid consumption of the coughing baby is very critical. Because, this helps the baby fight the infection.
Give these medicines if your baby’s doctor recommends a medication for pain or fever reduction. Other than that, do not give your baby any medication that your doctor does not recommend.
Besides these medications, you can apply steam treatment to your baby. Steam treatment helps to soothe his cough. To do this, open the hot water in the bathroom. Fill the bath with steam and wait with your baby in this steam. Hot and steamy air will relax your baby’s respiratory. But of course, take your precautions and keep your baby away from hot water. At the same time, try to moisten your baby’s room. Moisturized air is good for your baby’s cough. You can use a moisturizing device for this.
In what situations should I take my coughing baby to the doctor?
If your baby is less than 3 months old, it is best to go to the doctor immediately. In addition, the baby should be shown to the doctor in the following cases:
- If the cough doesn’t pass even after 5 days
- If cough gets worse
- If the baby is less than 3 months of age, in case of the temperature rise above 38 ° C or if he is less than 6 months of age, in case of the temperature be above 39 ° C.
- If respiratory problems occur
- In case of green, brown or yellow mucus in the baby’s cough
Meanwhile, your baby may suddenly start coughing. If your baby does not show any signs of disease and everything seems normal, there may be a possibility of swallowing a foreign object.