During the pregnancy, the digestive system undergo very serious changes and become sensitive. The functions of the body get more vulnerable to disease and they can be easily failed. In this context, one of the most common disease is diarrhea during pregnancy.
As the mother’s belly and womb grow, they apply serious pressure on the intestines and stomach. Therefore, digestive problems during pregnancy increase with each passing day. So, in the last months of pregnancy, diarrhea can turn the mother’s life to a nightmare.
What Are The Causes of Diarrhea During Pregnancy?
Diarrhea is a quite normal condition during pregnancy. There may be many causes of it.
- Learning that she is pregnant could be the cause of diarrhea in a woman. The main reason for this is the current excitement and stress.
- Changing diet during pregnancy can be the reason for diarrhea. Because consuming some foods can cause diarrhea and some foods may be good for diarrhea.
- Some women may be sensitive to certain foods. This nutrient sensitivity may cause diarrhea in pregnancy.
- Hormonal changes in pregnancy are another cause of diarrhea.
- Stress in pregnancy is one of the causes of diarrhea. Because stress can lead to stomach and intestinal problems.
Foods That Are Good For Diarrhea During Pregnancy
- Boiled, salt-free, fat-free potatoes,
- Oil-free, salt-free rice porridge,
- Stale whole wheat bread.
How Is Diarrhea Treated During Pregnancy?
Diarrhea treatment in pregnant women varies according to the severity of the situation. Most diarrhea cases during pregnancy are short-lived diarrhea caused by the consumption of bad foods. This type of diarrhea often heal within 24 hours. In this process, it is important that the pregnant woman take her lost water and electrolytes back. To prevent water loss, it is recommended to drink plenty of water.
In cases such as high fever, severe nausea, vomiting, bloody and long-lasting diarrhea, some tests can be applied and antibiotics suitable for pregnancy can be used. If the liquids cannot be taken orally, the water loss of the body can be recovered with serum.
To Prevent Diarrhea During Pregnancy
- Do not buy anything from street vendors as much as possible.
- You should consume foods that is homemade as much as possible.
- Hygiene rules must be followed carefully and hands should be washed frequently.
- You should wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly with plenty of water before consumption.
- You should avoid the environments where hygiene conditions are bad.
Does Diarrhea Damage The Baby?
Diarrhea during pregnancy is a common condition and is generally not dangerous. However, in cases of diarrhea that has infection or bacterial origin and last long, the body of the mother may be hurt. In general it does not harm the baby. However, long lasted diarrhea leads to excessive fluid loss and increases premature birth pains. In such cases, it is very important to seek medical help for the treatment.