Excessive Appetite in Pregnancy
According the studies, 84 percent of pregnant women have the desire to over-eat during pregnancy stages. Experts often view over-eating as a cause of nutritional deficiency. The fact that the body lacks some nutrients can lead to over-eating.
Eating desire is basically a signal that something is lacking in your body. Some experts believe that the desire to eat during pregnancy stages is the result of hormonal changes. Hormones which have an effect on the brain, estrogen and progesterone, can be the cause of this irresistible urge to eat. In addition, it is thought that pregnant women have an increasing tendency to taste and smell because of hormonal fluctuations and this situation may reveal more desire to eat.
It is normal to have some increase in your appetite in accordance with your increased calorie needs during pregnancy stages. However, this does not mean that you have the right to eat as much as you want. One of the biggest mistakes made by pregnant women is that eating more than the requirements by thinking that the baby will benefit more. From the second trimester you can add an average of 300 calories to your diet.
For these reasons, it is inevitable to gain weight during your pregnancy. If you are wondering how to get rid of your pregnancy weight after birth, read our article named getting rid of weight after pregnancy.
- Mothers who have excessive appetite during the pregnancy should eat snacks between meals. Snacks gives a feeling of toughness, prevents blood sugar fluctuation and reduces your desire to eat. Fresh and dried fruits,dairy products can be consumed as snacks.
- Drinking warm water half an hour before meals reduces appetite.
- Meals should be eaten as slowly as possible and every bite should be thoroughly chewed. You should start with the soup and should take care to consume vegetables and salads in every meal.
- Using overly oily and calorie sauces in salads and meals increases your appetite and causes unnecessary calories. As a flavor, you can use spices, vinegar, pomegranate syrup and a small amount of olive oil.
- Brushing your teeth immediately after the meal helps to suppress your appetite.
- Meals should not be consumed while watching television or working in front of a computer.
- It is necessary to know the food groups, to know the benefits and to stay away from foods that cause unnecessary calorie intake.