Fever in babies and children is really common, but it is not a serious problem as long as it is at certain limits. However, in some cases it can cause serious risks and permanent damage. For this reason, it is very important to know the symptoms and how to reduce the fever in babies. It is not right to panic in every case, but it is necessary to pay attention to the temperature higher than 39 ° C.
The age of the baby who has high-fever is very important factor. In the infants under 3 months old, you must go to the doctor without wasting any time. In these babies, research and treatment of the condition causing fever must be in hospital conditions.
The critical period of fever is 3 days! If the fever does not reduce in three days, you should visit the doctor. In babies older than 3 months, the degree and duration of the fever should be taken into account by considering the condition of the baby.
How to recognize fever in babies?
Kiss your baby’s forehead or touch with your palm. If he’s hotter than normal, he’s got a fever.
Fever is usually a sign that the body is fighting infection. First, measuring your baby’s temperature is one of the most important issues. In this way, you can give your doctor more detailed information about your baby’s condition.
Symptoms of High Fever in Babies
- If his temperature is above 39 ° C, or above 38.5 ° C and continues for 72 hours,
- If there is crying, groaning and restlessness with fever: Baby Cry
- If the restlessness continues despite the fever reducing,
- If there is continuous drowsiness, blurring of consciousness and delusions,
- If purple rashes occur in the baby’s skin,
- If there is dryness in the mouth and absence of tears,
- If he has difficulty in breathing, cough, wheezing, chest pain and ear pain, it means that your baby has a fever.
What should be done in case of fever in babies?
First, you should remove the clothes on the baby and lower the room temperature. Ensure that the baby consumes enough fluid and be sure the baby gets enough rest. A warm bath can help reduce the baby’s fever. However, applications with cold and vinegar water can cause harm to the child such as shock, respiratory arrest or loss of consciousness. So, these applications should be avoided.
You should not give your baby cold drinks and foods. At levels of 38.5-39 degrees, fever reducer suppositories or medications containing paracetamol or ibuprofen may be used. If the fever cannot be reduced by the applications, doctor treatment is a must. However, you should not forget that fever is not a disease. The main point here is the treatment of the disease causing the fever.
In what cases should you consult a doctor?
- If the child’s temperature is 40 degrees and above,
- If he does not want to drink anything and cries constantly,
- If the medium level of temperature (38 – 39.9) lasts more than 48 hours,
- If long-lasting fever is accompanied by symptoms such as runny nose and cough,
- If your child is very ill and has signs of illness that you cannot recognize, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible.