Because the immune system of the babies are weak and the body resistance is not sufficient, many health problems can be seen after birth. One of these problems is the oral thrush in babies, which is uncomfortable for the baby and highly worrying for families. Thrush is a kind of fungal infection that may appear in the baby’s mouth or palate. In this article, we have answered the issues that mothers wonder about the causes of thrush in babies, its symptoms and what can be done to prevent it.
Oral thrush in babies: Causes
In order to prevent thrush, it is necessary to understand why it occurs. For example; the use of antibiotics by the mother or the baby may cause thrush in babies. In addition, the mother’s vaginal yeast infection at birth, can cause the baby to have thrush disease. Because this fungus can pass from mother to baby during normal delivery. Vitamin deficiency, food allergy, large amounts of sweet consumption or diabetes may also be among the conditions that may cause thrush in babies.
Oral thrush in babies: Symptoms
The most obvious symptoms of the thrush is;
- Formation of white lesions on the mouth, palate, tongue, cheeks or gums,
- Decrease in appetite,
- Not taking the baby bottle,
- The baby is restless and crying when he/she eats something,
- Difficulty in swallowing.
Oral thrush in babies: Treatments
If you suspect that your baby has thrush, you should definitely consult your doctor. Your doctor will advise you of intra-oral drops after diagnosing. For children older than 2 years pastil can be given. If you use these drops on a regular basis, the thrush problem disappears within 1 week. Your doctor may also recommend a cream for your nipples. The aim here is to eliminate the possibility of mutual fungus between mother and baby. Do not touch with the lesion in the baby’s mouth during the treatment phase. This may cause further enlargement of the lesions. If the fungus completely disappears, the treatment can be completed. If thrush is not treated, it may be painful for your baby. Therefore, if you notice thrush, do not neglect to consult your doctor immediately.
How to Prevent Thrush
- In order to prevent the formation of thrush in babies, you should first try to strengthen the immune system. For this purpose, you can also prepare food from fruits and vegetables that support immune system.
- Necessary care should be given to your baby’s mouth and dental health. Since your baby cannot protect his / her health, you have important duties here. You can clean the pacifier and bottle frequently. And, when your baby grows, you can brush his/her teeth with special toothpastes and provide hygiene inside the mouth. If you want to know more about your baby’s dental care; you can check out the Dental Health Care For Babies and the Importance of Oral Health.
- It is important that the mother takes care of her own health. If you are breastfeeding your baby, you can wash your nipples with warm water during the day.
- Sometimes milk can flow spontaneously during the day because of the excess milk production. If you use breast pads, be sure to change them frequently. If it remains wet, the fungus may form.