What to do before getting pregnant?
2-3 months before getting pregnant, you should apply to the obstetrician and have the desired tests. The doctor may also request some tests for your spouse.
- Enter the ultrasound to check the uterus and ovaries.
- Start taking folic acid supplements. This vitamin reduces the risk of some abnormalities in the baby’s nervous system.
- Check for diseases such as anemia, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, asthma, diabetes. If you have any of these, you should be treated.
- If you have excess weight, lose weight.
- Perform regular exercise to maintain normal body index. Brisk walking, stretching exercises or swimming will be good for you.
- Eat well.
- You should stop drinking alcohol and stop smoking.
- It may take 6 months or 1 year to get pregnant. If you are a woman over 30 years of age and are trying to get pregnant for at least 1 year, consult your gynecologist.
- You should drink plenty of water to avoid the urinary tract infection.
- To avoid stress, exercises should be performed such as daily walk.
Get Pre-Pregnancy Vitamins
When you plan to get pregnant, you need 400 micrograms of folic acid daily and many different vitamins. You should start taking it 1 month ago before getting pregnant and continue to receive it for the first 3 months of pregnancy. Other vitamin supplements for the mother:
- Iron supplements
- Fish oil
- Vitamin D3
You must stop smoking before you try to get pregnant. During pregnancy stages, smoking may increase the risk of having problems such as premature birth, low birth weight and miscarriage. It also may cause a sudden death of the baby. Your partner should quit too. Environmental tobacco smoke is also dangerous. And it can damage the sperm’s efficiency at the same time.
Stop Drinking Alcohol
Drinking alcohol negatively affects the production of healthy sperm and eggs. In men, drinking alcohol leads to a decrease in sperm count. You should stop drinking alcohol before getting pregnant. Taking alcohol during pregnancy can increase the risk of birth disability and cause learning problems.
Go to The Dentist
If you plan to get pregnant, you should go to the dentist before pregnancy. Take care of your teeth. Because bacteria in the mouth can cause caries that can jeopardize pregnancy. These can cause infections and may even cause birth disorders. It also creates an environment for the formation of dental plaques. You should ask your dentist how to care for your teeth during pregnancy stages.
Stay Away from Stress
Good emotional state is very important to get pregnant. Stress can prolong this process and adversely affect ovulation. It has been scientifically proven that high stress damages fertility.
Drinking more than 2 cups of coffee (about 250 mg of caffeine) makes it more difficult for you to get pregnant and increases the likelihood of miscarriage. Before getting pregnant, you should drink at most 2 cups of coffee. Taking too much caffeine can cause miscarriage and reduce developmental growth. We mentioned more about this issue in our article about taking caffeine during pregnancy.
At least 4 months before getting pregnant you need to stop eating junk food and eat healthy. Get foods rich in protein such as fruits and vegetables, chicken, fish and legumes, whole grains. Drink 8 glasses of water a day, do not consume caffeine containing drinks such as tea and coffee.
Apply a rich diet with whole grain. Limit carbohydrate and increase protein and fiber intake. Add plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables and lean meats to your diet.
Being above or below normal weight may adversely affect fertility and cause some problems in pregnancy stages. If you have a weight below normal, it can put the baby at risk, and there may be problems during and after birth. If you have a weight over normal, you may experience problems such as diabetes or high blood pressure during pregnancy.